Wednesday, July 15, 2009

The LONG drive to the States

My friend Susy and I just got back from a shopping trip to San Antonio, TX. Two days to drive there, three days to shop and two days to drive back home.

I didn't take many photos as I was busy shopping but I did get two interesting shots. There are many shredded tires along the Mexican cuotas. Most 18-wheelers run recapped tires on all but their front wheels. The recaps are notorious for blow-outs, which we witnessed on one occasion. I always wondered what a tire looked like after the recap peeled off on the highway.
Well, we saw such a tire in the back of a tire truck.







I find the geology of Mexico to be surpisingly varied and interesting. Especially the mountains of the Sierra Oriental around Monterrey. In the pass between Saltillo and Monterrey are many pallisades (flat topped horizontal cliffs) emerging from the upper sides of the mountains. The particular pallisades that are of interest are vertical! They look as if massive forces pushed up and crinkled the rocks. This photo would have been better if taken early morning or late afternoon (and perhaps I'll get a chance one day) to capture strong side-lighting to show the "wrinkles".


0 comments: