Saturday, April 11, 2009

New Acquisitions

I had no intention of buying anything on this 3 day 2 night trip but alas, I just couldn't resist interesting artesania. I found some lovely things from Ocumicho that are made of low-fired clay, hence they break quite easily. But we managed to get them home without breakage. A miracle, I think!

The first three are from Ochumicho; an intriguing, moving carousel with six figures riding around the central pole. The only thing missing is calliope.





Then fantasmic bug like no other on earth. I just love their creativity.




Then a mask with a devil man and woman hanging off the horns. Where do they get their ideas?





Next is a stylized squirrel from Cocucho. Pots and animals made in Cocucho are called Cocuchas as they are usually made by the women--even the huge pots that are 5 ft. tall.




The last is a new Catrina. The artist said that the government sent teachers to her town of Capula to teach the women to make Catrinas with paper-covered dresses glued down. They use printed paper napkins at about $9US a pack of 10 luncheon size. Pretty expensive considering she sold me the Catrina for $19US. I think this new design will be quite popular and should sell rather well.





1 comments:

Calypso said...

All good stuff!

I'm trying to scale back - but I can look at yours ;-)