Sunday, March 29, 2009

The Hammock



What can I say about a hammock? Especially since I haven't owned one. On Thursday it was very warm and the shade in the back yard looked inviting. But I never sit out there and I'm not sure why. My temp. roomie took a chair out in the shade of the avocado, orange and magnolia trees, looking very comfortable with her book and cold drink.

When I get the hots to do something, I really get the hots. I jumped in my car and drove down the carretera to the hammock makers area and bought a lovely one with hanging embroidered fringe. Paid too much but what the heck; I've never seen a hearse with a luggage rack.

Got home and Clare helped me install it between the magnolia and orange trees. It looked sturdy enough so I tried sort of bouncing lightly on it. So far, so good! Got my book, pillow and a cold drink; ready to really try it. As I sat down you know what happened--you could see it coming, eh! With my red juicy drink all over my clothing and my behind plopped on the ground I remember thinking, "this is the way it's supposed to be"; every hammock deserves one toss to the ground. We retightened the ropes and all was as it should be the second time.

I can't explain how much or why I enjoy my hammock sooo much. It's almost like a freedom, with the air circulating all the way around your body. Almost like swimming naked with the water touching you everywhere. Maybe I should get naked . . .

1 comments:

Steve Cotton said...

I am looking forward to slipping into my hammock in Melaque -- in just a matter of weeks.