Tuesday, March 31, 2009

The Sprinkler



This morning I set the rainbird sprinkler out to water the grass and bananas that grow in a bed close by. Then while sitting on the terraza enjoying the morning I realized that the sound I heard was not a Mexican sound--it was a Portland, Oregon sound--the chewga-chewga-chewga of the sprinkler. That sound seemed really out of place here even though it made me a bit nostalgic. Most watering of lawns is done by a gardener standing in the yard with a hose in his hand. What a boring job that must be. I have several types of sprinklers for my gardener which I'm sure he appreciates especially since I insist he use them.
(Look closely to find the large stem of green bananas. I've been waiting for them to ripen for a long time--I will share them with the gardener)

0 comments: