Sunday, December 28, 2008

Lower Falls

After a bite to eat I descended to the bottom of the canyon, taking many stairs and few paths. It was then I realized I should have visited the lower falls earlier in the day when I was not tired, as the further I descended, the further I would have to climb out.






I thought climbing out of the canyon that I would die--no, honestly! I thought they'd have to bring in a helicopter to the bottom of the canyon. Then when I got about half-way out I was dreaming of an ambulance. Drank a pint of water coming out of the "hole" then poured another pint over my head and body (as I started to feel chilled but my skin was dry--bad sign--I had heat prostration!) and sat in the shade. About 300 meters from the canyon rim was the first restaurant where I adjusted 5 seating cubes into a cross shape and lay down under an overhead fan. Took close to an hour lying there with people staring to cool down. Drank a GatorAid and felt a bit better for the 700 meter walk to the bus stop to get back to town. Just wasn't thinking about the extremes in the Argentine jungle. But I would return in a heart-beat--just drink more water along the way and rest more often.

All and all, it was the best day and the worst day of my trip so far.


I took a cab on the way to the airport to the confluence of the Paraguay River and the Iguazu Superior River. From here I could see Paraguay on the left, Argentina in the foreground and Brazil on the right.(lost the photo in the computer crash) Even more impressive than 4 Corners in the States.


The cab driver asked if I was a Christian and I replied, "Yes, I'm a Mormon". He exclaimed that his wife's brother was the Stake President for that area or the Mission President, but he wasn't sure which. Then without telling me of his surprise, he drove me past the local chapel.


0 comments: