Friday, December 5, 2008

Why I love Mexico!! an ongoing post

I want my friends in the States to know how much I really love living in Mexico. I intend to never (I know, never say never) move back to the States. I intend to live and die in my beloved adopted country.

The people are warm and generous. With few exceptions they are also not to be trusted because of the clash of perceived poor vs. perceived rich. I say perceived because, after all, life is a matter of attitude and perception is part of our attitude. In some arenas gringos are resented because they don't work but but live a high standard of living. The idea of a pension is relatively rare in Mexico; if you don't work, you don't eat, simple as that. (Quite a novel idea in the US.) However, those who are willing to open their minds and hearts to the other culture, have experienced wonderful and fulfilling relationships.

One of my greatest joys in Mexico are the birds. Having been an off/on again bird watcher over the years, I find myself fascinated with the birds here. In the winter I've seen eastern US birds that I've never observed in the wild before. And the rest of the year there are many species who inhabit this area AND the Pacific NW. So they are familiar. But the resident birds that are much different than what I've seen in the US are truly delightful because of their (mostly) colorful plumage and tropical-sounding voices. Sitting on my terrace in the early morning is a true joy as they flit and sing from my bougainvillea hedge to the orchid tree and up into the palms.



Here are two of the bird I see all year as this is their home range. The first is a Vermillion Flycatcher that lives in my front yard and loves to perch on the banana leaves.








And this is Kiskadee because his call sounds like he's saying "kis-ka-dee". They are loud and noisy, especially when you get more than two together; they are about the size of a robin and live here all year.











The painted bunting I've only seen once but I was soooo excited when I did spot and identify it!!! It was so colorful; I couldn't believe I lived in a spot that this gorgeous bird wanted to share with me.












And this is a Mexican green jay. They actually live over at the coast about 3 hrs. from here. But I saw one in a cage once (AAARRRGGG) and the green on his back was so stunning, I couldn't believe a feather actually could look like that.







And then there are the butterflies--oh, what a delight they are!! Small black wings with thin white lines radiating out from the body to the edge of the wings that are lined in white, with two small scarlet circles at the base of each wing. Or the giant white ones that look like a hankerchief flitting on a breeze. We don't have Monarchs here, but in Michoacan, about a 5 hr. drive is where they winter--literally millions of them. I've been wanting to see them every year and something happens that I can't. But 2009 is the year for SURE.

The weather right after the rainy season is wonderful. Very much like the fall weather in the NW; cool nights, 68-75 during the day, 30-50% humidity, clear blue skies and a light breeze. It's simply perfect--for me.

There is less fear in Mexico. People can let their kids out the door in the morning and not see them until dinner time, knowing that the kids will arrive home safely. And Mexican kids walk to school or ride the city bus. There is no fear that some weirdo is going to grab them. These kids have freedoms that I had as a kid; but not US kids today. I'd want to be a Mexican kid.

0 comments: