Monday, December 22, 2008

Preparing for THE TRIP

I've been trying to get some projects done before I take off for my big trip to South America. But having a wretched cold last week, which incidently, kept me from singing the last Cantantes concert (oh poopies), has kept my pace down to that of a snail. I've managed to get presents wrapped except for one, and will deliver them today or tomorrow.

I start packing in earnest tomorrow. Packing for Buenos Aires where it's 90 and humid (remember this is their summer) and for shore excursions from the ship in the wilds of Tierra del Fuego where it's maybe, if we're lucky, 55- 60 and windy, I have a real chore ahead. Rather than buy clothing for the cold that I would never wear here at home, I opted for silk long johns and layering. I'm borrowing a polar fleece vest but only taking my raincoat with hood and hope I'm OK on shore. I did buy a pair of closed-toe shoes in a size too big in order to accomodate my heavy socks. The rest of the time I will wear my Chaco sandals, with or without socks. My feet are still so weird that shoes and socks cause burning in my toes, but it's either that or burning from frostbite!

The owners of my house are coming from Canada and will stay here the whole time I'm gone. So I'll put up some little Christmas stuff for them. Otherwise, I have no time or interest this year. I have been playing Christmas music and that always puts me in the mood. I'm paying no rent or utilities while the owners are here and they will care for the critters. I offered the use of my car but they prefer the bus. So virtually no expenses for the next month, if you don't count being in Argentina and Chile!! Everything's all paid for by credit card and the card balance is zero, so with no debt hanging over my head, it's almost like having a free trip cause the money's spent and gone.

0 comments: